Questions And Answers About Car Accidents

Q. What Should I Do If I'm Involved In A Crash?

A. If you are involved in an auto accident you must stop your vehicle. If you don't stop and leave the scene of the accident, you may be subject to criminal prosecution. After stopping you should remain at the scene of the accident and call the police and exchange insurance information.

If someone is injured, call the ambulance. Once the police arrive at the scene, you and the other driver(s) will be interviewed. The police will ask how the accident occurred and will ask if anyone has been injured. Once you provide this information, ask the police officer how to get a copy of the police report and note the officer's name and police precinct where the officer is stationed. Most likely, the officer will give you a slip informing you how to get the police report. You will need to call the precinct for an accident report number.

Before leaving the scene, exchange information with the driver of the other car including the driver's name, address, phone number, driver's license number, insurance company, policyholder's name and policy number of the other car. Please note that the driver of the other car may not necessarily be the owner of that vehicle, so it is best that you copy the information on the registration and insurance card given to you by the other driver. Also, take note of the passengers as well as any witness information.

Do not admit responsibility to anyone at the scene as it can be used against you at a later time. Initially, you may believe that you may be at fault for the accident, but there may be circumstances that may later be revealed, pointing to the responsibility of the other driver.

If you have a camera at the scene, take photographs of the accident location and the damage, if any, to each vehicle.

Q. How Do I Know If I Have A Valid Case?

A. To find out whether you have a case, please call Park & Nguyen for a free telephone consultation at 973-622-1113 or contact us online. There are strict time limitations on when an action must be commenced, as well as time-sensitive deadlines to have the paperwork completed for any no-fault claims. Therefore, call as soon as possible.